Monday, August 19, 2013

Heliophobia

Another thing that I've noticed recently about Japan is that, when given a choice, very few people will sit outside in cafes and restaurants. Hokkaido is quite spacious so there are lots of places that provide outdoor seating (including this awesome bakery Mugi-oto, which has a beautiful garden/picnicking area), but the vast majority still seems to prefer sitting inside.

On the other side of the spectrum, the Germans are almost fanatical when it comes to sitting outside when the weather is nice. Considering it's winter 6 months out of the year, I would have thought that the Hokkaido-ers would also be crazy about being outside, but I guess this isn't case . . .



3 comments:

  1. If it wasn't for our deck, I think I would go bonkers on nice days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky! My parents don't have a deck but they live in a house (as opposed to a balcony-less apartment like ours), which is nice because I can just step outside and go pet their neighbor's dog across the street. :)

      Delete
  2. I like how your parents have adopted the German habit of sitting outside! :D

    ReplyDelete